Burkina Faso, formerly Upper Volta, is a landlocked country at the western part of Africa, bordered by Mali, Niger, Togo and Ghana. It comes under the poorest and illiterate countries of the world, although it is an excellent destination for anyone interested in seeing beautiful West African country.
Ouagadougou, also known as Ouaga (pronounced “Wa-Gha”), is the capital city, located in the center of the country, in the area known as the Mossi Plateau. Other major cities in Burkina Faso includes Banfora, Bobo-Dioulasso- (the country’s second largest city, located in the south-west). Burkina is a great place to visit if you are interested in West African drumming culture, music and art.
Facts about Burkina Faso:
- Time: GMT/UTC
- Population: 11.9 million
- Seasons: Wet (June to October), dry (November to February), hot (March to June)
- Telephone: Country code226, international access code00
- Budget: US$15 to US$25 per day
- Capital: Ouagadougou
- Visa: Available at borders (CFA10, 000) or Burkina Faso embassies (up to CFA30, 000)
- Languages: French, Moré, Fulfulde and Lobi
- Area: 274,122 sq km
- Money: West African CFA franc; US$1 = CFA498