Algeria is the largest country in Africa and is situated in northwestern Africa, with the northern coastline running along the Mediterranean Sea. Algeria is a member of the Arab League, United Nations, African Union, and OPEC. It is also a founding member of the Arab Maghreb Union.
Facts about Algeria:
- Official name: Al-Jumhuriya al-Jazairia ash-Shaabiya
- Head of government: Prime Minister
- Capital: Algiers (population over 3 million)
- Population: 28,784,000 (1994)
- Languages: Arabic (official), and Berber in some areas. Many people speak French, but Arabic has gradually been replacing it in education and public administration.
- Religion: Islam
- National holiday: November 1st, Anniversary of the Revolution (1954)
- Electricity: 220 volts (110 volts in some areas). A continental adapter is necessary.
- National dialing code: +213
- Time zone: GMT + 1 hour
- Business hours: Government offices: 8am-12 noon & 2pm-5.30pm Sat to Wed; 8am-12 noon Thurs. Private businesses generally close between noon and 3pm, but this is not fixed. Banking time is between 9am-3pm Mon. to Thurs. Some banks close for lunch. Ramadan hours are shorter.